Monday, September 28, 2009

Canadian Tour - Gomez Captures Second Tour Title

Submitted by CanTour Communications John Berkovich

RIVIERA MAYA, Mexico – Rafael Gomez stumbled home with a four over par 76 but hung on to win the US $100,000 Iberostar Riviera Maya Open by one stroke over Antonio Maldonado who closed with a 71.

Gomez, who started the day with a six shot lead, double-bogeyed the final hole to finish the tournament at 12 under par 276.

Click here for the final round leaderboard!

Scott Gibson fired a two under par 70 to grab solo third at eight under 280, one ahead of American John Douma who had a 69.

Sharing fifth spot at 282 are Brock Mackenzie (67) and David Jackson who had a 72.

Hoyt McGarity shot his second consecutive 69 to grab a share of seventh at 283 along with Paulo Pinto (69) and Liam Kendregan who fired a 71.

“This is a big win for me and a real confidence booster going into Q-School,” said Gomez, who took home US $16,000 and his second Canadian Tour title of the season.

“It was difficult to start with such a big lead. I have had big leads to start last rounds before, but not this big."

It showed. He staggered out of the gate with back-to-back bogeys but with Maldonado bogeying the second, the lead was still five.

Righting the ship, Gomez birdied four and five but stumbled again with bogeys at eight and nine, cutting the lead to four at the turn.

Maldonado then sliced the lead to three with a birdie at ten but it jumped to five with a Gomez birdie and Maldonado bogey at No. 13.

“I played conservatively all day and even though Antonio (Maldonado) was getting a bit closer in the middle of the round, I wasn’t too worried,” said Gomez.

“He was the one who had to get aggressive, not me.

Having bogeyed No. 15, Gomez arrived at the 18th tee with a four stroke lead over Maldonado and what appeared certain victory.

However, the duo had to endure a lengthy delay for the two groups ahead of them before they were able to tee off.

“I just wanted to hurry up and finish and I got anxious,” said Gomez. “I lost my concentration and pushed my tee shot way right into the mulch.

“I had to take a penalty drop from there but I wasn’t worried because I still had a big lead.”

Gomez advanced the ball back onto the fairway and then hit what he called an incredible shot to 15 feet from the pin.

Although Maldonado birdied to put some pressure on Gomez, the Argentine would not be denied, calmly two-putting for the victory.

“I’ve been playing very good golf all year and to do this right before qualifying school is very important,” he concluded.

No comments: