Sunday, January 18, 2009

Asian Tour Qualifying School Results

Vernon, B.C.'s Chris Baryla fires a final round 75 and misses by 2 shots.

Click here for full field final results.

Rayong, Thailand, January 17: Japan's Daisuke Maruyama triumphed in a play-off at the Asian Tour's Qualifying School presented by Sports Authority of Thailand with Mohammad Siddikur and Rory Hie becoming the first Bangladeshi and Indonesian players respectively to earn full playing rights on Saturday.

Thanks to steady putting, Maruyama defeated England's Ally Mellor in the second play-off at the St Andrews 2000 course to finish on top of the leaderboard.

Colombia's Eduardo Herrera ended his week in third spot after a 69 while South African James Kamte nailed a strong 67 to claim fourth place.

Hie emerged as the first Indonesian golfer to earn a card when he finished in a tie for 30th place while Siddikur followed suit when he shot a 76 to finish in joint 33rd place.

A total of 40 players earned their cards for the 2009 season.

Maruyama, a former US PGA Tour player, carded a 68 for a 353 total and was forced to a play-off after Mellor had birdied the final par five 18th hole in regulation play. After posting matching pars in the first play-off on the 18th hole, Maruyama holed a six feet birdie putt in the second play-off hole to seal the top spot.

"I came here this week hoping do my best and I did just that so I am very pleased with my performance. It has been a tough week but a good experience and the result has given me the perfect start to the 2009 season," said Maruyama, with five top-10 finishes on the US PGA Tour.

England's Mellor, who turned professional in 2004, walked away pleased with his overall performance in the last two weeks.

"I've been playing here since the First Stage last week so I am happy with how I competed at the Qualifying School. I'm a bit gutted to lose in the play-off but this is still a good performance overall," said Mellor.

Siddikur, with two professional wins on the Indian circuit, shot a 76 and was happy to be the first player in his country to compete on the Asian Tour.

"I am really pleased. This is the toughest week of golf for me and it means a lot to earn my card on the Asian Tour. I am going to call my parents to tell them the good news.

"This week has been a great experience and for the 2009 season, I would like to play in as many events as possible," said Siddikur.

Indonesia's Rory Hie shared a similar sentiment when he made it through the top-40 thanks to a 72 today.

"I turned it around today. I met a guy out there who is a teaching professional in United States. He gave me some tips which helped me the past couple of days.

"I'm really excited to have earned my card on the Asian Tour and look forward to a fruitful year, hopefully even a win if possible," said Hie, who is Indonesia's top ranked golfer.

South African James Kamte battled through an injured toe on the way to an impressive 67 to finish in fourth spot

"I cut my right toe yesterday and it required 12 stitches. I was not on any painkillers as I didn't want to think about it. It's been a great week and I hope to have a smooth sailing year on the Asian Tour," said Kamte.

Thailand's Pariya Junhasavasdikul was the highest ranked local finisher when he posted a 69 and ended in a tie for fifth place.

"It was a good week, I can't complain. I never expected to finish so strongly and I hope to enjoy a similar ride this year," said the 24-year-old golfer, with three wins on the domestic circuit.

After posting a 79 on Friday, Australia's Adam Le Vesconte scorched the course in the final round firing a 67 that included eight birdies against two dropped shots.

"After yesterday's debacle, I was an angry man but I calmed down. Today it was nice with a six under total.

"This game is so frustrating as one day I can play well and not the next. I am very happy to earn playing rights this season. I had my wife Toni on the bag for the first time this week. It will be her first and last time but it was great to have someone like my wife on the bag as she can calm me down on course," said the Australian golfer, who finished in a tie for 26th place.

Finland's Pasi Purhonen and Australia's Bradley Lamb fired similar 71s and narrowly missed the cut when the duo finished in a tie for 41st spot.

About the Asian TourAs the official sanctioning body for professional golf in Asia, the Asian Tour leads the development of golf across the region, enhancing the careers of its members while maintaining a commitment to the integrity of the game. The Asian Tour, through its membership of the International Federation of PGA Tours, is the only recognised pan-Asian professional golf tour in Asia. This unique feature positions the Asian Tour at the pinnacle of professional golf in Asia; providing its events with Official World Ranking status. Tour Partners include Carlsberg (Official Beer), ESPN Star Sports (Official Regional TV Broadcaster), Pin High (Official Apparel Partner), Ricoh (Official Office Solutions Provider), Sofitel (Official Hotel), TIME and FORTUNE (Corporate Partner) and Srixon (Official Ball). Sentosa, Singapore's premier island resort getaway, is the Home of the Asian Tour.

No comments: