Saturday, July 11, 2009

Wheeldon Runs Away With B.C. Junior Boys’ Title

PITT MEADOWS, B.C. - With a final-round 7-under 64, Riley Wheeldon's record-tying 264 total blew away the field by eight strokes and earned him the B.C. junior boys’ title.

Wheeldon, of Comox, B.C. maintained the lead throughout the tournament and carried a two-stroke margin over Justin Shin of Maple Ridge, B.C. into the final round.

Click here for full field final round scores!

“I really came into today’s round focused,” says Wheeldon. “I knew with the right shots that the numbers were out there. I wanted to start playing like I know I can.”

Wheeldon’s bogey free round (the second of the tournament) began with a run of five birdies on the front nine to take him to 15 under – he birdied 3 more holes on the back. He only made three bogeys and one double for the tournament.

“I was putting great today,” says Wheeldon. “Putting can be my Achilles heel but I tried to stay calm and let the birdies come to me.”

Defending champion, Eugene Wong of North Vancouver, B.C. stormed up the leaderboard with seven birdies today and finished in second at 10-under 278.

“I tried my best today,” says Wong. “I started out with a par and then sank a long putt at #2 for birdie and started to build momentum from there.”

Justin Shin carded a final 8-under 280 for third followed by Bryan Lichimo of North Vancouver in fourth at 4-under 284.

Riley Wheeldon, Justin Shin, Bryan Lichimo and Nicholas Russell of Vancouver will comprise the B.C. Junior Boys’ team for the Canadian Junior Boys’ Inter-provincial Championship at Westmount Golf & Country Club in Kitchener, ON August 2-6, 2009.

The B.C. Junior Boys’ Zone and Club team champions were also announced today. Capilano Golf & Country Club players, Matthew Cavelti and Bryan Lichimo claimed the club team honours. From Zone 4, Jay Kim, Kevin Kwon, Brian Jung and Justin Shin took the Zone competition.

No comments: