Friday, March 20, 2009

Canadian Tour Florida Qualifying Schtool - Final Results

BROOKSVILLE, Fla. – Welshman Ryan Thomas ran away with the Canadian Tour’s Florida Qualifying School on Thursday, taking the pressure cooker by six strokes over American Jason Anthony who closed with a 68.

Click here for a full list of final round results.

Thomas shot 14 under par 274 for the week.

Sharing third spot at six under 282 are Jason Kang (68), Brett Lederer (69) and Joseph Greiner who shot 72.

Tyler Harris closed with a 73 but it was good enough for five under 283 and solo sixth while Ciaran McMonagle was alone in seventh at 284 after a 70.

The battle for the final two exempt spots at 285 was won by Ryan Panichpakdee and John McLean who defeated Barry O’Neill.

Earning non-exempt cards are O’Neill, Joe Johnson, Nemanja Savic, Jim Fitzpatrick, Brian Benedictson, Matt Johnston, Trey Denton, Casey Watabu, Brad Tilley and Lucas Lee.

Starting his day with three consecutive birdies, the 2005 Welsh Amateur champion coasted home in 70 to pick up $2,000 and a Canadian Tour ticket.

“Yeah, I’m feeling pretty good and played really well,” he smiled.

“I was able to come here three weeks ago and practice here a few times. It was my putting that made the big difference this week.

“I didn’t want to think about the big lead I had today, I just wanted to go out and make some birdies. I was fortunate to have a fast start and then was able to relax.

“This Tour comes highly recommended from a lot of players and once I heard that, I wanted to come out here to continue my progress.”

With a Tour card in his back pocket, the rugby fanatic is returning to Wales to cheer the home side at Six Nations.

“We’re playing Ireland on Saturday and I want to be there,” he said. “I hope we give it to them good but I think it will be a close match with us winning.”

Brian Benedictson achieved a measure of redemption. Losing his card last year and failing to advance through the Fall Q-School, the Comox, B.C., native earned non-exempt status with his performance this week.

“It was a matter of staying in the moment and taking it one shot at a time,” said Benedictson.

“At a tournament like this, the mind has a tendency to wander to things past and future because of what is at stake.

"While I did leave some shots out there this week, I am happy with how I played.”

Benedictson tried something different this winter to prepare him for the season. “I worked with a coach for the first time ever,” he explained.

“I also made sure I was better prepared mentally for the pressure of Q-School this time.

“I had a great attitude out there; even when things weren’t go so well during the round. I would make sure I stayed focused on what I was doing rather than what had happened.”

Fellow Canadian Matt Johnston began the third round tied for the lead but consecutive 75s dropped him to non-exempt status.

“I’m not sure why but I just didn’t play well the last two days,” said Johnston. “There is a lot of pressure here but it wasn’t nerves as much as it was simply hitting bad shots.”

Two over on his round through eight, Johnston hit his approach at No. 9 into the water and made double-bogey.

Now facing the possibility of losing any sort of status, Johnston bounced back with birdies at ten and twelve.

“I didn’t panic,” he answered, when asked if the double deflated him. “I knew there were a few birdies possibilities on the back side and fought hard for every shot.

"I knew I didn’t have my good stuff today so I just bore down and did it. It was a great learning week under some very intense pressure."

Johnston’s Q-School pressure isn't finished. Anxious to achieve full status, he’s on his way to next week’s California Q-School at Carlton Oaks.

In the Clubhouse

Adam Kase holds the record for Q-School winning margin. He defeated Jack Kay Jr. by 12 in 1987.

Exempt Status

Ryan Thomas
Jason Anthony
Jason Kang
Brett Lederer
Joseph Greiner
Tyler Harris
Ciaran McMonagle
Ryan Panichpakdee
John McLean

Non-Exempt Status in order of Rank

Barry O’Neill
Joe Johnson
Nemanja Savic
Jim Fitzpatrick
Brian Benedictson
Matt Johnston
Trey Denton
Casey Watabu
Brad Tilley
Lucas Lee

No comments: