Sunday, August 23, 2009

Canadian Anderson Wins Third Canadian Tour Title

Submitted by CanTour Communications John Berkovich

MONTREAL, Que. - Stuart Anderson said he needed at least 20 under par to win and he went one better in capturing the $200,000 Desjardins Montreal Open on Sunday by four strokes over Clayton Rask.

Anderson’s final round 63 gives him a four day total of 21 under par 263 and his third Canadian Tour title.

Hugo Leon, who started the day with a three shot lead, shot an even par 71 to grab solo third at 16 under.

Sharing fourth spot at 269 are Ryan Williams (69), Matt McQuillan (66) and defending champion Graham DeLaet who fired a 67.

Garrett Sapp, Andy Matthews and Scott Hawley finished in a tie for seventh at 270.

“It was just a solid round of golf,” said Anderson. “I hit my irons phenomenally all day and stayed aggressive.”

Playing with Leon in the final group, Anderson birdied three of his first four to move to within one of his playing partner whose only birdie in that stretch was at No. 4.

Anderson birdied the sixth to catch his good friend and both players birdied the eighth to turn at 18 under alongside Clayton Rask who was making a move of his own.

Rask then claimed the lead with a birdie at ten but he gave it right back at 11.

Another bogey at 14 effectively ended his chance at victory.

Both Leon and Anderson parred the first two holes on the back nine but the tide Anderson’s way when he birdied 12 and 13 and Leon bogeyed No. 13.

“Those two holes are probably the two toughest on the golf course,” continued Anderson.

“I hit driver off the tee and it nearly went in the water but stayed dry. I hit a solid wedge to ten feet and made the putt.

“I plugged a 3-wood off the next tee and hoped to get relief but didn’t. I knew I wouldn’t but I figured there was no harm in trying.

“It got me fired up, though, and with 208 yards to the pin, I hit it to a foot for birdie.

“When Hugo bogeyed, I suddenly had a three shot lead.”

That bogey took the wind out of Leon’s sails. He bogeyed 15, 16, and 17 but redeemed himself with a closing eagle.

Parring 14 and 15, Anderson drained another birdie at 16 to lead by five and although Rask birdied the final hole; it was all over by that point.

“It was hard to watch what happened to Hugo but I really had it dialed in today,” said Anderson.

“I was so juiced toward the end that I was hitting every shot five to seven yards longer than I expected to.”

“He was outstanding today,” said Leon of his close friend. “I am very proud of the way Stuart played.

“He made it tough on everybody. When the time came that I felt I had to push it, the engine exploded. I didn’t have the extra gear today.”

“This victory is for my girls back in Victoria, my family in Alberta and across Canada, and my sponsor Laurie Guthrie” concluded Anderson.

“This win is a tribute to them and all the support they continue to give me.”

No comments: