Sunday, August 30, 2009

Canadian Tour - Brian Unk Wins Seaforth Country Classic

Submitted by CanTour Communications John Berkovich

SEAFORTH, Ont. – Brian Unk fired a bogey-free 64 and set three Canadian Tour records on his way to capturing the $125,000 Seaforth Country Classic by three strokes over James Hahn.

Unk’s score of 28 under par 256 sets a Tour record for lowest cumulative score and lowest score in relation to par.

He also set the 54-hole mark for lowest cumulative score on Saturday.
Ryan Yip shot 66 to finish alone in third at 23 under 261, three ahead of Jason D’Amore who matched the tournament low 63.

Jae Woo Im shot his third consecutive 66 to grab fifth spot at 265, while Scott Gibson’s 66 left him in solo sixth at 266.

“It’s been a long time since I’ve won anything of this magnitude,” said Unk. “The guys out here are so good and anyone can win on any week.

“This was just my week. It’s hard to win golf tournaments and a lot of it is confidence.”

He came out flying on a raw and windy day with three consecutive birdies to move into a commanding lead but Yip began to peck away at Unk’s lead with four birdies of his own after eight.

Playing in the group ahead, Yip then bogeyed nine, ten and eleven and although he played the final seven holes in four under, it wasn’t enough.

Birdieing seven and eight, Unk appeared to be in command but he began to play conservatively, making six straight pars, and gave his pursuers a glimmer of hope.

Unk airmailed the ninth green and faced a treacherous downhill chip from thick, tangled rough that rolled 15 feet past the pin.

Facing an uphill putt with left to right break, he rammed home the putt.
“That turned out to be huge,” said Unk. “I had a big lead but who knew that James (Hahn) was going to shoot five under on the back side.

"It was a really big putt in terms of momentum.

“James really got it going on the back nine. He birdied 12 and 13 and then I watched him stuff it in there to a foot on 15 for eagle.

“I hit it in the rough off the tee and was forced to lay up but I answered him with a birdie.

With Hahn hitting his approach to a foot for birdie at No. 16, Unk knew he needed his 12-footer to match his playing partner.
He got it.

“I had to keep answering him on the back nine just to keep pace,” added Unk. “I knew he was going to make those putts and it was up to me to respond.

“I’m proud of the way I kept my composure today and how I just played my own game.

Hahn, a leader or co-leader for the first two days, was gracious in defeat.
“I hit the ball well today and made a lot of great putts,” said Hahn. “I shot 64 today and was two back before that final bogey at 18 from the greenside rough.

“Brian played great,” he added. “He goes out and shoots 64 in the last group with a three shot lead. That is great golf.

“I looked at my caddie just before Brian putted on 16 and said, ‘this one is going in.’

“I said the same thing to him at nine just before Brian made that par putt.

“It was his day.``

IN THE CLUBHOUSE
Trey Denton aced the par-3 12th from 138 yards with a pitching wedge. It is his first hole in one as a professional and third overall.
Tim Clark set the previous Tour record for lowest score in relation to par when he shot 27 under 261 in winning the 1998 New Brunswick Open.

The previous cumulative score was 258 (-26) set here last year by Kent Eger.

No comments: