Sunday, August 9, 2009

Golf Course Review - Morgan Creek GC

I had the opportunity to play Morgan Creek Golf Course in Surrey a week or so ago. It started out as a boy’s golf trip to Loomis Trail, but it was wishful thinking we would zip across the border for the game. I was looking forward to playing at Loomis Trail, however when our group met up at Hazelmere the advertised border wait was 2.5 hours. It leaves me wondering what will happen at this border during the Olympics! In any event, after making a few calls, we were able to secure a tee time at Morgan Creek on short notice.

Jeff's Opinion: I hadn't played Morgan Creek in a few years and while disappointed about not playing at Loomis Trail, I was happy to be able to get another opportunity to play it. The course was in great shape; tee boxes well manicured, greens rolling at about 11 on the stimp meter, fairways very closely mown. There was obviously significant attention paid to the fertilizer and irrigation program as the course was one of the greenest I've see this year, not a brown spot to be found. The service in the Golf Shop, proximity of the warm-up range and frequency of the beverage cart visits were all excellent. The only thing I find odd about Morgan Creek is the arrival. After parking in the lot you carry your own clubs around the back of the Clubhouse, past some garbage bins and a cart wash area before reaching the Golf Shop. It has always seemed like a strange set-up to me.

None the less, Morgan Creek is in great shape and the service levels matched the course conditions, both which were excellent! I'd gladly play it multiple times through the season and highly recommend a trip to Surrey for a game.

No comments: