Sunday, August 9, 2009

Canadian Tour - Yip Wins On Third Playoff Hole

Submitted by CanTour Communications John Berkovich

MILTON, Ont. – Ryan Yip birdied the third playoff hole from five feet to captured the ROXUL Jane Rogers Championship over Trey Denton.

Jeff Cuzzort was eliminated on the first extra hole after both Denton and Yip birdied and Cuzzort’s chip from the greenside rough hit the hole but rolled away. Cuzzort birdied 18 as did Denton to join Yip in the playoff.

Yip birdied the final two holes for a 69 just to force extra holes while Denton finished regulation with a final round 71 and Cuzzort closed with a 67.

Click here for the full field final round results!

The trio ended the event at five under par 279, one ahead of James Love who closed with a 70.

Jim Lemon (74), third round leader Richard Lee (75), and Clint Rice (68) shared fifth spot at three under par 281.

Jim Seki (75), Mike Grob (70), Andrew Parr (72) and Kent Eger (73) finished in a tie for eighth at one under par 283.

The entire field struggled with the difficult course and stifling heat after a storm delayed play for 96 minutes earlier in the day. However, in the end, it came down to the gutsy performances of Yip, Denton and Monday qualifier Jeff Cuzzort.

At the second playoff hole, Yip two-putted from 40 feet for birdie while Denton’s second ended up in the greenside bunker. Denton’s bunker blast ended up 12 feet short of the pin but he rammed home the birdie to extend the playoff.

On the final playoff hole, Yip once more found the fairway while Denton pushed his into the deep rough. Forced to lay up with his third, Denton then found the greenside rough just past the pin.

Yip found the greenside rough with his second and chipped to five feet.

Convinced that Yip would drain the putt, Denton came up just short with his chip and watched helplessly as Yip won the title.

“I love a par five hole because I can take advantage with my length,” said Yip, of the 529-yard 18th hole. “I knew that there would be a good chance I would make four, or even a three. I have been playing really well on the par-5 holes all season long".

“I couldn’t believe that Trey kept making those putts. First he got that one to get into the playoff and then he got that long one home in the playoff."

Yip – who earned $20,000 with the win - almost didn’t see the playoff.

He missed a two-footer on No. 9 that he seemed to hit before he was ready.

“Yeah, that was a bad one but I knew I was in it because the course was playing tough and the wind was coming up a bit. I knew I could make birdies coming down the stretch and that is what I did.”

The Calgary native, who struggled in both 2007 and 2008, has had a solid year and knows the importance of his maiden Canadian Tour title.

“This means a lot,” he added. “It will build my confidence for the rest of the year and hopefully I can keep it going right into Q-School.”

Denton, who battled Yip right down to the end and made a slick five footer just to get into the playoff, was admittedly downcast.

“This is a disappointment,” said Denton. “I really don’t know what to say.

“I played well all week but I put myself in a bind a few times by not hitting the green with my second shot on the playoff holes. Ryan kept putting himself in the right position during the playoff and he got it done.”

With his birdie at 15, Denton grabbed a one shot lead but he pushed his tee shot at 16 into the deep rough and missed the green with his second. A weak pitch with plenty of green to work with left him with a 15-footer for par that he failed to convert.

No comments: