Sunday, April 26, 2009

Canadian Tour - Molina Defeats Matthews In Playoff

Submitted by CanTour Communications John Berkovich

MAZATLAN, Mexico – Mauricio Molina birdied the final hole of regulation and then parred the first playoff hole to defeat Andy Matthews and capture the Corona Mexican PGA Championship.
Matthews three-putted the final hole from thirty feet to send the duo to a playoff after both finished at 11 under par 277.

Click here for full field final results!

Australian Stephen Dartnall closed with a 71 to finish solo third, one shot out of the playoff.
Finishing in a share of fourth at nine under par 279 are Mike Mezei (67), Manuel Inman (69), Stuart Anderson (68), J.J. Rodriguez (70), and third round co-leaders John Ellis and Eugene Smith who both shot 73.

Sharing tenth spot at 280 are Liam Kendregan (69), Wes Heffernan (72), Robert Gates (71), Ryan Yip, (67), and Mitch Tasker who also had a 67.

“My strategy today was to hit my drives well,” said the new champion, who took home $20,000 for the victory. “I have a strong short game so I wasn’t as worried about that.

“The only mistake I made today was, funnily enough, with my short game when I bogeyed the eighth hole.

"The greens are very complicated and difficult to read and my short game let me down at that hole.”

Standing on the 18th tee and two back, Molina’s goal was to finish second. “I didn’t think I could catch him so I just wanted to make a birdie,” he said.

“I knew where he stood and he was playing very well. I didn’t think he would three-putt his last hole.”

Matthews hit his approach at the final hole of regulation to thirty feet, ran the birdie putt some four feet past the hole and, with Molina looking on, missed the comebacker.

“I caught it a little heavy,” said Matthews, “but I thought I had an extra shot to play with and didn’t realize I was in a playoff until I saw everyone scrambling around.”

The pair went back to the tee and Matthews hit his drive into the trees where the ball stayed hung up.

Waiting in vain for a gust of wind to release his ball, he was forced to return to the tee and with Molina in the middle of the fairway, the result was a forgone conclusion.

Still, Matthews is holding his head high. “While I’m not happy with the finish, I am happy with how I’ve been playing in recent weeks,” he said.

“I’ve been working hard on focus and relaxation and it’s paying off. Being in contention like this and having the butterflies swirling is what we play for.

“This is a big confidence booster and I’m looking forward to the rest of the season.”
For a time, it looked to be anybody’s tournament.

Dartnall had a share of the lead briefly on the front side but made bogey and double-bogey at the fourth and fifth.

Although he picked up two birdies on the back side, three closing pars left him one short.
Stuart Anderson also came close. Making the turn in four under and eventually getting to five, he caught the leaders but bogeyed 17 to finish two back.

With two opening birdies, it looked like John Ellis would successfully defend his title. However, four bogeys and just one birdie the rest of the day dropped him into a tie for fourth.

Third round co-leader Eugene Smith struggled early, clawed back into a share of the lead with a birdie at nine, but then played the back nine in one over par.

IN THE CLUBHOUSE
Players from Argentina have won all four events during the Canadian Tour’s 2009 season. The Tour travels north of Mexico City next week for the San Luis Potosi Open. Russell Surber is the defending champion. San Luis Potosi is 6,000 feet above sea level.

The La Loma course is a Jack Nicklaus Signature design where the wind is often a factor.

No comments: