Sunday, June 7, 2009

Third Canadian Tour Title For Byron Smith

Submitted by CanTour Communications John Berkovich

VICTORIA, B.C., - Byron Smith fired a final round 64 to come from three strokes behind to win the Times Colonist Open by three shots over Jim Rutledge and amateur Brady Johnson.

Smith finished the tournament at 13 under par 267.

Click here to view the full field final round results.

In fourth spot at eight under 272 are Brock Mackenzie who shot 65, Ryan Yip (68), John Ellis (70), Ryan Carter (69) and third round leader Richard Scott with a 71.

Robert Gates finished solo ninth at 272 after a 70 while Chris Wall (67), Mike Grob (68), Richard Gilkey (69), Andy Matthews (69) and Wes Heffernan (70) finished tenth at 273.

Smith began his day by bogeying the first but bounced back with birdies at two and four before giving one back at seven.

A birdie at nine had him at one under on the day but then he showed why he won 2007 ROLEX Player of the Year honors.

He eagled 12 and came right back with birdies at three of his next four holes to pull away from the field.

“I was standing on the twelfth tee and told the spectators that were following us that this was where it starts,” said Smith, who takes home $32,000 for the victory, his third on the Canadian Tour.

“Luckily enough, I hit a great seven-iron there and made the putt for eagle.

“I got a little gift from the gods on 13 when I pulled my drive dead left, hit a tree and watched it ricochet back in the fairway.

“If it didn’t hit that tree, I was dead. That was the good break I needed to win the golf tournament.”

Smith continued his run with birdies at fourteen and sixteen to leave the field in his wake.

“Winning is a beautiful thing,” continued Smith. “I’m ecstatic.

“I did an interview yesterday saying it was good to be back but I really haven’t been away. I didn’t have a great year last year but I contended a few times.

“Winning never gets easier but there is no question you feel more comfortable and confident being in that situation if you have been there before. I’ll tell you, it’s nice to be back in the circle.”
Heading to the golf course this morning, Smith had one number in mind.

“I figured if I got to 12 under it would get the job done. If I got there that I would have to make somebody else beat me; I luckily got one more than that.

“That was a good little run I had going on the back side and I just missed that ten-footer at 15 that would have given me a nice cushion. I wanted that one very badly.

“The putter was ice cold until today when I awoke him out of his slumber.

“I kept myself in the tournament all week with my ballstriking and managed to make enough five and six-footers for par to keep my earlier rounds going.”

Brock Mackenzie grabbed a share of the lead earlier in the day with four birdies on his first seven holes followed by three more at eleven, thirteen and fifteen. A bogey at seventeen from the fringe followed by a three-putt at 18 ended his chances.

Third last year, Jim Rutledge moved up to a tie for second this time.

Birdies at six, seven and eight moved him into a share of the lead and had the galleries buzzing but with Smith’s game on fire and just one birdie the rest of the way, the local favorite fell short.

“I let a couple of chances get away from me on 12 and 13. I was on the right edge of the green at 12 and had a real sticky lie,” said Rutledge.

“I was more concerned with rolling the ball by the hole and off the green. I tried to get aggressive but I just didn’t do it.”

“I had another good chance on the next hole from the middle of the fairway but my approach checked up just short of where I wanted to hit it."

“Overall, I’m more proud of myself this year compared to last year. I had the tournament last year and I her get away. This time I played well right until the end."

Taking the lead at No. 9 after a tap-in for birdie, John Ellis appeared to be the man to beat. However, a bogey at 11 seemed to take some wind out of his sails and he parred his way in until a bogey at the final hole.

No comments: